Hotel Indigo recently opened as part of the East Washington Corridor redevelopment. A boutique hotel, the project included the adaptive reuse and restoration of the historic Kleuter Wholesale Grocery Warehouse building, constructed in 1915, as well as a new five story building addition. As a reimagined urban building, the first floor facing East Washington houses a new restaurant in a highly transparent space. The slightly raised outdoor seating area along East Washington Avenue helps to create a pedestrian friendly and activated street. Vehicular drop off and parking for the hotel is kept at the courtyard side of the building while pedestrian entrances for the hotel and restaurant are located along East Washington Avenue.
The existing Kleuter building was restored to its original condition while the addition is designed to represent its own time and compliment the historic warehouse building. The existing building was restored to the Federal and State historic renovation standards for tax credits.